I grew up on an Iowa farm. I wouldn’t trade it for anything. A part of my life for eight years was the local 4-H club. While I learned a lot of agriculture, I also learned that life has more to it than a day-to-day existence. Every time the 4-H club met, we said the pledge. As I reflect back on it, if offers a great beginning point for mindfulness. The four H’s are head, heart, hands, and health.
Start with your HEAD.
- What do you know?
- What don’t you know?
- What are your key skills?
- What has brought you to this point?
Focus on Your HEART.
- What makes you happy?
- What would make you happier?
- What’s the disquiet you are feeling right now?
- What are you excited to talk about?
Move to Your HANDS.
- What are your tools?
- What do others ask you to do?
- What do want to be able to do better?
- What activities come naturally to you?
Finish on Your HEALTH (your whole commitment).
- What would you do, even if you weren’t paid?
- What’s the passion that you can’t contain?
- What deserves your full attention?
- What do you want to be know for?
Are you considering hiring a coach? Think about these four H’s first.
Are you a coach working with a new client? Start with the four H’s.